Psoriasis in childhood. Psoriasis in children. Although this has been shown as a disabling disease in adults, in children it is a condition that is not only painful but incomprehensible and unexplainable to children between the ages of 0 to 5 years old.
Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease that affects between 2 to 3% of the population and manifests by red scaly spots, usually distributed symmetrically on elbows, knees and scalp in adults. In children it appears as confluent, bright red and well defined lesions, located mainly in the diaper area during the first two years of life and on the scalp and back during childhood. Although this has been shown as a disabling disease in adults, in children it is a condition that is not only painful but incomprehensible and unexplainable to children between the ages of 0 to 5 years. In fact, the word “infant” comes from the Latin infans which means "mute" and so, by extension, it acquires the meaning of "child who cannot speak".
Today we know that there are several factors that trigger the disease, for example: mechanical traumas such as rubbing, oropharynx infections, emotional factors, climate, certain medications, stress, fatigue, emotional trauma or hormonal changes. To control psoriasis manifestations, we can work on everything that causes physical damage and, especially, psychological harm. At the physical level the steps to take start “at the dinner table”, taking into account everything the child eats during the day. This information is of utmost importance.
• Eat meals rich in Omega 3, folic acid and selenium, which are found in many foods such as fish, grapes, peaches and garlic, whole grain cereals, legumes and spinach;
• Avoid or reduce the consumption of meat, fatty foods, foods with preservatives and additives; these are common ingredients in packaged snacks so it would be better to replace them with good homemade desserts such as a sponge cake. Not only will this satisfy the child’s hunger and taste buds, it will also keep them healthy;
• It is also a good idea to remember that soft drinks are rich in preservatives and additives; therefore, it’s a good idea to eliminate, reduce or replace them with lots of water that will allow the body to be more hydrated.
Just as the doctor gives the child the tools to eat healthy meals, to follow therapy properly and to practice some appropriate sport, you should make sure that your child follows an adequate lifestyle for physical and psychological benefits.
In terms of psychological aspects, psoriasis is a really difficult disease for children since they have to deal with environments such as school where people look at them all the time. They feel as if they are being watched, and so anxiety and stress increases. This triggers psoriasis and provides the conditions for making it worse.
Watch for these warning signs. They will tell you that your child has too much stress. Try to make their environment calmer.
• Excessive perspiration or flushing while interacting with other children or during school activities; this is commonly associated with insecurity or rage;
• Crying attacks and tantrums without good reason
• Transitional disorders in language development generated or aggravated by psychological reasons. (e.g. delayed speech, stuttering, defective pronunciation, the tendency to stay with “baby talk”)
• Gastrointestinal disorders
• All problems are physically manifested and appear to be related to stressful factors like nervous coughs and night bruxism, the habit of unconsciously grinding the teeth.
WHAT TO DO?
A good tactic is to spend a specific time of the day playing relaxation games so that your child can free extra energy. After facing difficult or stressful situations relaxation games help children to calm down, restore energy, focus their attention on tasks and release muscular tension, helping them to adapt better to changes.
The "Montessori Method" (Maria Montessori, founder of modern pedagogy and education) can be helpful since it focuses on respecting the child's spontaneity.
Here are some tips that will help you and your child to relax while spending time together:
LET’S RELAX ... PLAYING!
• Watering plants and caring for animals makes the child feel more secure and happy, since it awakens their instincts of the soul;
•Ask them for help in doing housework from an early age, assigning age-appropriate tasks. For example, a two-year-old is quite capable of carrying bread or plastic dishes to the table and 3 or 4-year-olds can help washing dishes, etc....
• This will allow the child to feel useful and thereby increase their self-esteem;
• A game that is simple and fun, which calms the child and stimulates his/her imagination: first invite the child to lie or sit down, then the adult begins to list a series of foods the child likes such as bananas, chocolate, apples, warm bread, cake ... ask the child to describe shape, color, taste and smell.
• Finally, another alternative that could appeal to both boys and girls consists of asking them to make a series of gestures associated with stories you are telling them: swimming, jumping, rolling over, cooking, etc.
Of course, the difficulty level of the stories and gestures will change depending on the age of the child. These games should become a regular daily habit. Increase the level of difficulty at an age when relaxation must be combined with the physical, intellectual and especially emotional growth of your child.
If you have not got any good results with other psoriasis products, try
Psotherapy the natural remedy, successfully tested by millions of people around the world, without contraindications or side effects.
The information in this site is for informational purposes only, in no case may constitute the formulation of a diagnosis or the prescription of a treatment; it’s not intended and must not in no way replace the direct doctor-patient relationship or the specialist visit; it is recommended to always ask the opinion of your doctor and/or specialists about any indication given. If you have doubts or questions about the use of a Psotherapy product do not hesitate to contact your doctor. Read the Disclaimer »
** "Consideringthat every person get different results from any
treatment, the photospublished testimonies and in vitro assay show that it is possible but not totally sure that people obtain the same results when using Psotherapy products.” Disclaimer