Nail Psoriasis. Psoriasis on the nails. Nails that have always been considered the mirror of our health, are, in this case, more than never the true image of it because they show a real sign of alarm allowing an early diagnosis for skin psoriasis. Studies show that nails diseases are related in 10% with dermatological problems and 50% with psoriasis.
disease, which appears as specific skin lesions according to its own typology, affects not only the skin but also the different keratin plates of the fingernails and toenails.
In fact, this nails damage frequently occurs during psoriasis, even at first stages, and has a considerable impact in the quality of life of those who suffer from it. Besides, this makes hard to do the simplest daily activities because it causes some problems with hands strength or prevent people from walking when the toenails are affected by the disease. This negative effect cannot be stopped if misdiagnosed, as a matter of fact, it is common that nail psoriasis is diagnosed as onychodystrophy or is even mistaken it for the classic fungal infections (onychomycosis) and, therefore, is treated with anti-fungal medicines obtaining unsuccessful results.
Nails that have always been considered the mirror of our health, are, in this case, more than never the true image of it because they show a real sign of alarm allowing an early diagnosis for skin psoriasis. Studies show that nails diseases are related in 10% with dermatological problems and 50% with psoriasis.
How do we know if we suffer from nail psoriasis?
Apart from the pain, in the case of nail psoriasis some significant changes are observed in the nail appearance.
These changes, in only one person, can occur separately or as a combination of them.
The main nail changes, also known as onychopathies, are:
• The plate color usually turned white-yellowish;
• Hyperkeratosis or vertical grow of the nail due to abnormal grow of flakes that accumulate beneath the nail plate producing its thickness;
•Irregular, opaque and rough surface lined with longitudinal-trachyonychia marks, a sign of alarm indicating psoriatic arthritis;
•Onychomadesis or detachment of nail matrix;
•Nail pitting or small depressions that vary in form and distribution due to the presence of groups of parakeratosis cells that block the normal process of keratinization;
Note: In this case, the dermatologist will assess psoriasis by counting, literally, the nail depressions and will decide, according to the amount, the severity of the disease.
Nails are always visible, especially in interpersonal relations, like, for example, when we shake hands with someone for professional or social reasons. In this way, it is necessary to keep an eye on them and treat them properly in order to avoid being afraid of socializing and to boost self-confidence and self-esteem.
Here you have some tips that will be required to prevent nails from severe damages:
1. Time will be need to see improvement. From 6 months to one year for the recovery of the damage nail;
2. Don’t use artificial nails or make nail refill because they can produce adverse reaction to the glue or gel;
3. Take advantage of good weather to use sandals. The sun, even in this case, is a good ally for nail psoriasis, though it is not necessary a long-term sun exposure;
4. After washing your hands and feet, remember to dry well nail edges with a towel to remove the humidity that would seeped into the nails;
5. Avoid long-term feet bath due to it can soften the nail too much, leading to aggravate the disease and making the nail vulnerable to mycosis;
6. Add vitamins, like vitamin D, C and A, to your diet that are beneficial for your health.
7. Keep your nails short to avoid later traumas. It is also important to cut your nails (better after a bath) with nail clippers or small scissors. Use the nail file to soften the nail corners and thus, prevent it from annoying flakes.
If you prefer to go to a manicure and/or pedicure in a beauty salon, you must always take into account the disease; this will make the beautician to be delicate and to use the right tools.
If you have not got any good results with other psoriasis products, try
Psotherapy the natural remedy, successfully tested by millions of people around the world, without contraindications or side effects.
The information in this site is for informational purposes only, in no case may constitute the formulation of a diagnosis or the prescription of a treatment; it’s not intended and must not in no way replace the direct doctor-patient relationship or the specialist visit; it is recommended to always ask the opinion of your doctor and/or specialists about any indication given. If you have doubts or questions about the use of a Psotherapy product do not hesitate to contact your doctor. Read the Disclaimer »
** "Consideringthat every person get different results from any
treatment, the photospublished testimonies and in vitro assay show that it is possible but not totally sure that people obtain the same results when using Psotherapy products.” Disclaimer